Saturday, June 24, 2006

Garden Politics

Have you ever starved a hydrangea?
I have. The Government made me do it.
For four days, I have borne witness

As leaves first drooped in listless agony,
Then curled, like a burned child recoils into a tight ball
Of muscle, skin, and pain.

Royal-blue clouds descend
To crispy spheres of fibrous dust,
Beauty meeting truth, truth defeating beauty.

Neighbors on walks with dogs have glanced toward the victim
And at me. I slip between their ears to hear them acknowledge, judge,
Then remember to water their lawn when they get home.

But steps away, cool coiled compassion is stayed
By the rule of law - glibly imposed, weakly obeyed, silently abided.
And the flower falls farther from heaven, closer to earth.

4 comments:

Sujay Sukumar said...

Oh...thats very sad....did the hydrangea survive?....usually these bushy plants survive a few dry weeks....you could try watering the plant both at the roots and all over.

"And the flower falls farther from heaven, closer to earth" - that was siply amazing.

plg said...

I was puzzled by stanzas 1, 3 and 5 ...

hoodawg said...

Puzzled how, Phil? The first simply describes the event -- Fulton County water restrictions forcing the poet not to water his hydrangea. The second and third are artistic explanations of the hydrangea's leaves and blooms wilting and drying. The fifth is a critique of the poet's willingness to sacrifice his flowers to obey the rules.

plg said...

Once I read a comment about water restrictions and found out what hydrangeas look like, I got it. But reading it cold as a person who has never actually watered a lawn and wouldn't know a hydrangea if it started growing out of my nose, I was just having a hard time understanding the role of the Government in the story.