Sunday, January 24, 2010

Waiting in the Conference Room

I’m in an office-

sitting with a very dignified face

among the dignified stuffed chairs

and polished wood and glass


And the people I meet

may never know

how weird I am,

or how I sang

loudly and very badly

to myself on the way here


Our discussion

will not broach the subject

of my drunken strolls

down Broadway

or my screaming pleas of mercy

to the blood moon

and all the women of the world


They think I am studying

venture capital

or the stock market

while I scribble

chaotic poems

and dream of swinging naked

from White House chandeliers…

2 comments:

hoodawg said...

I love this poem, man. I got stuck, though, on "sitting with very dignified place," because it's an unusual turn of phrase. What do you mean by that? That's my only quibble with this.

Matthew Sheahan said...

That was a typo; I fixed it.