Saturday, January 14, 2006

What We Do

Sometimes people ask me, they say "Bob, what does your company do?" And I say "Nothing. And everything." That's usually about the time they look at me like I'm crazy. And they're right. I am crazy. This whole company is crazy. And we have to be. Know why? Because the world is crazy.

You see I can't say "What we do" by saying the name of some category of business or some particular form of communication. What we do is really an amalgam of so many different things in so many different aspects, there's not a single term or phrase that can describe it.

It's like what Louis Armstrong said when the reporter asked him to define jazz. He said "Man if you have to ask, you'll never know." But let me give you the closest approximation that I can, just so you can start to get your head around this thing. If you take what Louis Armstrong did for jazz, what William Faulkner did for the novel, what Julia Child did for cooking and what Abraham Lincoln did for the slaves, mix it all up in a blender with some hot sauce and some pancake syrup and some textured vegetable protein and then take that mixture into your body by means of an enema after wrapping your head with seaweed that has been soaked in vodka, that's the tip of the tip of the iceberg of what we do.

2 comments:

plg said...

Me or Bob?

plg said...

Bob's a visionary. I work in advertising which has given me the opportunity to meet quite a few visionaries such as Bob. It's all about trying to one-up the other visionaries by using the most buzz words possible as you position yourself as having the broadest perspective of any human being that has ever lived.